Table of contents
Media buying and advertising are integral to success these days. How can you use these elements to boost your online presence, maximize exposure among your target audience or become a more efficient influencer? Understanding the scope of these marketing techniques can help you plan better campaigns and optimize outcomes.
Here’s your complete guide to media buying and advertising.
What is Media Buying
With media buying, you’re using an effective technique that’s part of paid advertising. The goals include increasing visitor numbers to a website. The benefits are that you can market your brand, a service or a product, even if you have no existing website. However, one should keep the possible high costs in mind.
In practice, this strategy requires paying to reserve ad space on popular websites, to benefit from engaging the high number of visitors to those pages. For media buying you can use relevant programs and resources including:
- Facebook Ads;
- Twitter Ads;
- Google Ads;
- Partner Network from Admitad.
It’s similar to buying space on public billboards where you know your target audience will notice your message. Except, with media buying, the ‘billboard’ is online.
Key elements for effective media buying include identifying a target audience and using websites that draw a lot of traffic. Also, your budget must provide for marketing on these sites.
What is a Media Buyer?
As a media buyer, you promote your own content through media buying or clients pay you to plan their media buying campaigns. You’ll determine placement of ads to have the best effect. Identifying the correct, relevant platforms is vital, as well as gauging the details of a target audience in terms of:
In addition, you need a good understanding of tools like digital ad managers. Making use of resources, such as Partner Network from Admitad is also worth your while. Furthermore, media buyers frequently communicate with platforms to discuss how to effectively reach the target group.
You can see the role of media buyer involves a lot of planning to ensure you connect with the right parties. Analyzing outcomes is also important, in order to continuously improve results.
Because innovative tools like Partner Network make it easier to generate money through media buying, it’s a viable method to generate an income stream with no extra effort. For some it’s a welcome part-time, freelance job.
However, you can pick it as your full-time job, especially after gaining some experience. By getting enough traffic, promoting top-notch brands or consulting for multiple clients, you can earn a substantial monthly income.
How To Be a Media Buyer?
- Determine a target audience and understand its characteristics;
- Plan a strategy for each marketing campaign;
- Formulate a budget that empowers you to reach the goal of the campaign;
- Organize how you’ll distribute the ads and choose the most appropriate times they must feature;
- Confirm all ads are original;
- Analyze data to determine ROI and campaign performance;
- Provide clients with analysis reports;
- Manage relationships with clients through regular communication;
- Continuously stay up to date with what’s popular in terms of tech, media and other elements that affect marketing campaigns.
What Skills Make A Successful Media Buyer?
- Having a grasp of putting together dynamic plans to purchase ad space;
- Experience with using platforms relating to social media, media and advertising;
- Staying up to date on popular media and advertising methods;
- Being a good negotiator;
- Excellent communicator;
- Critical thinker;
- Maintaining a balance between creativity vs logic and analysis.
How to Become a Successful Media Buyer
Because of its popularity and the possibility of high revenue, media buying is a competitive niche. But these tips will help you improve your skills and build a reputation that draws clients.
- Create an excellent elevator pitch, so you can sell your skills to potential clients within 30 seconds. Ensure they understand what media buying is and how it can benefit their marketing outcomes;
- Stay informed about everything that impacts your work as a media buyer. Spend some time researching this industry to understand it and the skills that will set you apart;
- There’s no official media buying degree, but you’ll find courses that will improve your abilities. You can then communicate this certification to potential clients to prove your value in the industry;
- Start off as a part-time freelancer, doing it in your spare time. You can determine whether it’s the right fit for a full-time gig for you. Later on, the experience you acquire and the projects you work on will also serve as a valuable portfolio when trying to attract new clients;
- Become comfortable using tools that streamline media buying workflows and grow your revenue faster. For example, Admitad has multiple products designed for this industry, that works efficiently for media buying;
- Work on having proof of your value as a media buyer. This can be customer reviews or project reports. Contact businesses that can benefit from your services and show them what you have to offer.
Is Media Buying a Smart Career Decision?
In short, yes, media buying is a great industry to join. For one thing, in the modern business environment, digital marketing is essential, so there’s a lot of work. Additional reasons proving the value of becoming a media buyer include:
- Get peace of mind about job security, thanks to enormous need for this service;
- There will be work flooding in if you can simply stay informed about what’s trending in the digital marketing arena;
- There are high revenue prospects for both freelancers and full time media buying consultants;
- Working from anywhere and having flexibility in terms of when you work are popular drawcards. You won’t need to rent office space and you can even do it part-time, with no need to resign your current position to try something new;
- You can run your own company, get to know what works and enjoy the high ROI;
- This is one niche where you get quick results as long as you work hard;
- It’s an exciting industry, so no chance of your job getting boring, all thanks to the ever-changing nature of the current digital age. You’ll see new trends, tools, platforms—and challenges—on a regular basis.
How to Become an Expert in Media Buying
The potential of this industry is immense, but make sure you have the skills to make it work. To guarantee high returns in terms of income, and maximize opportunities, prioritize these important aspects:
- You need excellent content-and that means getting ultra-creative to engage your audience. This goes for video and text advertising;
- Be open to learning from others, especially experienced advertisers in the media buying niche. Their feedback can be valuable lessons along your career path;
- Never think you know it all, because in this niche industry, trends change all the time. Formulate a mindset of continuously learning and developing skills relating to the digital marketing industry. If you’re out of touch you’ll lose out;
- Good customer service and communication is vital. Your relationships with them impact your reputation and your revenue;
- Introverts who find this role appealing should understand the challenges they may face. Media buyers must be excellent networkers, so you’ll have to improve skills that determine how you relate and communicate with others;
- In any ad, you must prioritize giving a clear message, creating something unique and making sure others easily engages with the content. The perspective of both your audience and the clients you manage will matter;
- Practice makes perfect and a media buyer mentor can help you in this process. Such a person can help identify your strengths but also help improve your weaknesses;
- Have an original approach so clients will easily notice you and your work. From selling your skills to clients to putting together a campaign, make it your own.
How to Drive Traffic to a Website
Efficient planning is key to media buying success and drawing traffic. This includes discovering on which platforms or pages your target audience will spend time. You must also contact these websites or social media platforms and asking about costs regarding ad placement. For example marketing banners.
Furthermore, you need to manage various related activities such as sending out e-newsletters and posting sponsored content.
Just because it’s a popular advertising method that generates lots of leads, doesn’t mean it’s always easy. Effective media buying requires you to strategize like an expert to ensure your plan gets you or your clients the leads they need.
Media Buying Mistakes You Need to Avoid
Along with media buying’s benefits of high revenue, you’ll also face challenges including stress and being part of a competitive industry. While you can’t maintain perfection, avoiding these common mistakes will protect your career and reputation:
- Skipping the testing phase on a new campaign;
- Asking low rates, in the hope of drawing customers;
- Not having enough trust in your capabilities as media buyer—believe in yourself, so you can sell your skills with confidence.
4 Vital Tips For Avoiding Media Buying Mistakes
You’ll safeguard your work as a media buyer, simply by prioritizing certain processes of each campaign:
With ads, double check links that direct traffic and proofread—again—for grammar and spelling mistakes.
Consider the demographic and whether the entire campaign focuses on that group. Check exclusions, attribution frames and conversion events.
Throughout the process, consider your budget and your campaign strategy. Scheduling a daily Q and A session with important points to consider is an effective plan of action.
To earn a rate that justifies the time you put in, be willing to be honest and upfront with clients.
Media Buying Best Practices
You need to be conscious of what you bring to the table as a media buyer. Don’t get a bad reputation for charging high rates and showing poor performance.
As a newbie you may have to sacrifice time and work hard to improve your skill set. Only then can you increase your rates to align with that of the pros.
You’ll find your sweet spot for media buying rates if you pick a reasonable rate, rather than a high one. Remember to always put in your best effort, so you get value for money.
For longevity of this role as a source of income, build relationships with clients that are willing to commit to your fee structure. You should also be able to see yourself partnering with them long-term.
Never underestimate the value of having strong relationships with your client base. That’s what’s key to solidifying your reputation in the industry. For this reason, improve skills related to communication, customer service and networking.
Benefits of Digital Marketing
You may have heard people mention “new media in marketing”? This refers to news websites, blog pages and social media platforms, all part of the digital arena. And the benefits of using digital marketing are vast, including but not limited to:
- Affordability, while still getting good results;
- Easy to pinpoint a target audience;
- Fast deliverables;
- Easy data analysis.
These benefits, along with the platforms’ efficiency have seen the gradual but definite rise in popularity of this marketing niche.
An Intricate, Effective Process
Media is an effective tool for marketing. With media buying, along with the ads you place for your specific audience, you can share additional marketing material. When you do it right, it forms an effective process.
You advertise products where you purchase ad space and this guarantees those items get noticed. As a result, those products’ sales figures can soar. But it only happens if you pick the right location from an online media outlet that your target audience will be likely to see.
Advertising: A Definition
Advertising: Strategizing to attract a target audience by using advertising techniques. These techniques must persuade them to buy the relevant item or use a service.
With advertising you connect with people and the goal is that your message will lead to them committing to a sale which affects your profit.
Advertising takes place on various platforms, including TV, radio, online and with printed media. All mediums are effective techniques of engaging with a target audience, sourcing leads and hopefully finalizing a sale. But it’s also part of the important process of establishing brand awareness.
Advertising Campaign: A Definition
During a marketing campaign you compile a plan to use a set of ads to reach your goal. In general, the goal is to engage with your target audience by sharing the ads using different advertising mediums and platforms.
4 Elements of a Quality Advertisement
All quality ads contain the following four elements:
- Advertising Copy;
- An Advertising Objective.
Most Popular Partner Marketing Promotion Methods and Techniques
There are popular marketing methods that many affiliates use, because of their efficiency. Some of the best include:
- Collaborate with social media influencers;
- Asking other bloggers to mention you in their content;
- Obtaining email leads;
- Benefiting by advertising on popular media sites.
You’ll be wise to use these methods as part of your media buying strategy but also incorporate partner networks that simplify the monetization aspect.
For example, Admitad can assist with connecting you to top-notch brands you may want to market and tracking the number of clicks on an ad. It also simplifies the entire process of placing ads.
Want to join the exciting world of media buying? If you deliver quality work and ensure high ROI for clients, you’ll always be in high demand. You will need to put in hard work to become an expert at some of the required skills, but in due time you can have a welcome new revenue stream.
If you have more questions on the topic, or want to know more about Admitad, leave a comment below.
As a publisher and content creator, you can generate revenue for your business and diversify your income sources with Admitad products.
ConvertSocial – monetization platform for influencers and content creators with instant access to 100.000+ advertisers.
Monetize your social media channel in a few clicks by joining ConvertSocial monetization platform. Create useful videos, add referral links to your description section and get a commission every time someone buys using your link.
Partner Network – leverage partnerships at full scale to grow your online business worldwide.
Monetize Network – intent-based monetization for your digital products, including mobile apps, websites, search services, and browser extensions.
Boost revenues and maximize resources with Admitad.